Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Beyond The World. Chapter 2 : Holiday [part 1]

The sun shined brightly, burning the fair skin of Matt. From a far distance, the mirage seemed to form and it danced gracefully on the horizon. A mass of white clouds floated obediently according to the wind on the nice azure sky, which to me looked like a big cotton candy was moving. The steady dank sea breeze of the sea brought a sense of peace to everyone at the beach, including Matt and me. A covey of seagulls was taking place on the nearby dock, looking for small fish and crabs for lunch.

I rested my head on my arms, shutting my eyes close. Matt would then turn his look to me, before his finger was suddenly brought up against my nose, pinching it slowly. I squeaked. I tried to open my eyes back, but squinted as the incandescence of the sun was immense, almost turning my eyes blind. I forced myself to sit up, before turning my look to him. My mouth was slightly parted and was ready to yell, but the glittering hazel eyes of Matt made me relax again. "What's up?" I asked him straight. Both of us straighten our knees, which able the waves to reach us. Sometimes they crashed hard on the beach, bringing along small crabs and shells to our feet. The moment they pulled back, I could see both our heels sank a bit into the gold sand.

"Just bored." Matt finally replied. "Hey, do you have plan for summer?" He added, as he put on his dark glasses, pushing it up the bridge of his nose. He's about six feet tall, and athletic shape, which even his loose fit jeans and T-shirt couldn't conceal.

I paused for a moment there. I reached for my backpack, and ran my hands inside, rummaging each corner and was hoping to find a T-shirt. "No, but maybe Sarah has. She told me that..." I uttered as i put on a white Reebok T-shirt, but stumbled on my action upon somebody leaped on to my back, hugging my neck from behind.

"Hey guys!" A voice behind me called both of us, only it was too close to my ears, almost turning me deaf. Both Matt and I turned back to see Sarah was smiling and she brought two sticks of ice-cream. She looked delighted and happy, which was the Sarah i knew. I took both of the ice-creams and passed one to Matt.

"You're just in time." Matt said as he took my offer, before taking off the wrapper and shove it into his mouth. That time his eyes widen. I did the same, but I bit some of the ice-cream before I offered to Sarah, and she took a bite. "Brain freeze, huh?" I took a quick glance to Matt. He turned around, shutting his eyes tightly, before he shivered. "Owww..." Both Sarah and I burst into laughter.

"Oh, I know!" Sarah sounded without alarm. "We would go to my family's mansion at Worchestershire. The place is sooo beautiful!" She added, gesturing with her hands. "My grandma said that there was something weird going on too. We go and check them up..?" She winked to me.


"Ehh...I...urm..." I hesitantly replied, before Matt said, "Sure, we'll go." And that sounded like the end of conversation, which meant Matt made my decision. "Well, not the first time." I muttered. The three of us set our body reclined under the soft kiss of the sun, which turned my skin to tan. We talked and laughed about school, about this boy Henry being bullied. A flock of seagulls flew across our heads from the sea, followed by the sunset, which displayed the separation of orange colours in the direction from the sun to the observers and the blue components scattered from the surrounding sky. It also concluded that it's dinner time. My stomach growled, reminding me that I hadn't eaten since lunch.
Matt and I sat at the dinner table, before Mum appeared in between us, serving lasagna on each of out plates. "It's nice to have you join us for dinner, Matt." Mum started the dinner conversation.

"It's true, you're like a family." Dad added, before he reached his hand for the salad, but Mum tapped it away, as she frowned her eyebrows to dad, signalling him to wait. Dad pouted and rubbed his hand.

"It means a lot to me, thank you, Mr and Mrs Hayden." Matt replied, lowering his head a bit.
"Okay, dig in guys." Mum smiled and slunk into her seat. "Honey, could you pass the bread, please?"

Dad bit one of the garlic bread, holding it in between his teeth and passed the basket to Mum. "So, where do you plan to go for summer, boys?" Dad said, before chewing a forkful of lasagna. I didn't know who should answer, but judging from the look of Matt which had his mouth full, I gently wiped my mouth with a napkin before answering. "We decided to go to Worchestershire." I uttered, before stabbed the cheery and shove it into my mouth.

Mum choked on her wain. "Worchestershire?"

Matt would surely notice that I nodded my head. Judging from Mum's look, i might saw a red light instead of green one. I Just too familiar with that look. But before i could say something to defend myself, Dad interjected, "Sure, it's a nice place. And I heard that there're going to be a carnival there." He glanced at us before looking at his plate again. Both Matt and I gawked, but knowing that Dad once studied at Bestport, he might knew a thing or two about that place.

Still, I worried lest Mum would protest. However, from what Dad had said, it probably final. I quenched myself who didn't appear to be thirsty at all with a glass of lemonade. The fluid swam uneasily inside me, threatening to come back up. I looked at Mum, waiting for her answer which felt like forever. I saw she slowly munched her food, her eyes staring blankly, like she was thinking deeply about something.

"I promise I'll have my eyes on him, Mrs Hayden." Matt suddenly said, which made me stared at him in disbelief. We were only two years difference, like it would make a big change. I thought he just ruined my chance of going, but instead, I saw Mum's lips were moving. "Sure honey, have fun. But promise me, you'll take care of yourself." She said, as she curved her mouth and gave a warm smile at me. Did Mum just gave her consent? Did Matt just helped my ass back there? A number of question marks popped into my head, which wasn't answered. I felt grateful, but thinking that I would go to some kind of place which only surrounded by hillocks and thick woods, I could be hoping that Mum wouldn't let me go. But, it was too late.

One hour had passed. The dished were washed, and the table was cleaned. I staggered upstairs, my stomach was full. Matt steadily followed behind. I fumbled my hand in the darkness for the switch, and my finger flicked to it. Before my eyes could adapt themselves into the darkness, the room filled with brightness. Picking up a pair of jeans on the floor, I threw it into the basket. Then, I reeled to my bed like a drunken man, throwing my body over on top. My body felt really sore, which made me regret for not using the sunblock. Matt on the other hand crossed his hands, staring at my bookshelves, which a minute later he pulled put last month's Reader Digest. "Mind if I borrow this?" He stated, waving the magazine before he finally settled down at my couch.

"H-hold on a minute, you're sleeping downstairs, right?" Not here?" I asked, looking at him and probably concerned. I saw the other guy who has been my neighbour for almost 10 years concentrating at what he's reading. He looked back at me, but didn't lift his head. "Yeah, why?" He briefly replied.

"N-nothing." I answered. Before I could think of another sentence, I already set to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment